Monday, January 31, 2011

TED

For some time I have been slightly obsessed with a website called TED.  Many of you may be familiar with TED already but for those of you who aren't let me elaborate.  TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design.  It was founded in 1984.  TED started out as an annual conference of invited speakers, musicians, scientists, etc.. Since 2006 the talks have been available free online at ted.com.  Their mission statement reads,


 "We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we're building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other."


I love that idea of a "community of curious souls"!  I think that we would all do well to become a little more curious.  Curiosity is defined as an emotion related to natural inquisitive behavior such as exploration, investigation, and learning. Sometimes I definitely lack that emotion but I recognize that I'm happiest when it's present.  


Anyway, TED talks are one way of sparking that curiosity.  Here is one video that I have really enjoyed recently.





1 comment:

sarahjane_72 said...

Hey Jo, Sarah Webb here... Long time no talk, how have you been?

Who knew you blogged? I didnt. Anywho... Ted is awesome. It is my home page. I watched this video (or one by the same person) a while ago. Love the illustration.

You are awesome!